license with patent grants appropriate for specifications?

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Tue Jan 18 02:07:35 UTC 2005

Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> If I give you a license to walk along my beachfront property in Malibu, that
> doesn't mean you automatically get a license to walk along my beachfront
> property in Maui. Nor do you automatically get a license to walk along other
> people's beachfront property. [By the way, I don't really own any beachfront
> property; this is just a fantasy.]

For the sake of example, understood.

> If I give you a license to use my patent to create standards-compliant
> software, you don't automatically get a license to create non-compliant
> software or a license to patents owned by third parties.

Certainly not.  One would not gain the right to redistribute patented software
by mixing something proprietary with open source and then claiming the whole
thing was open.

> Under open source and open standards rules and the practices of most
> standards organizations, patent holders don't expressly forbid you from
> creating non-compliant implementations of a standard, but neither must they
> license you to do so.

No one is forced to release their software under the terms of the OSD.

Many OSD-approved licenses contain no real discussion about patent licensing
at all, or do so only by implication (BSD, MIT, others).

Nor is Open Source immune to license obligations where prior art exists,
either (eg, OpenSSL/OpenSSH & the RSA license which expired recently).

I acknowlege all of these cases exist: the right to redistribute patented
software does not leap into existence, it is granted by the owner of the
relevant patent rights.

All of this being said, when a patent-holder distributes software under an
OSD-compliant license, what does OSD #1 & #3 require vis-a-vis the
availability of a freely available patent license grant for derived works?

> Walk upon private property at your own risk.

Good advice, thank you, but honestly, that's not my issue:
I'm not interested in walking on private property.

My concern has more to do with people offering software in the guise of public
property by claiming it is open, and then pulling a switcheroo and demanding
royalties as if the software was private property.

We don't need more people playing the games Rambus did with JEDEC.

--
-Chuck