license with patent grants appropriate for specifications?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Jan 17 23:25:26 UTC 2005

Chuck,

If I give you a license to walk along my beachfront property in Malibu, that
doesn't mean you automatically get a license to walk along my beachfront
property in Maui. Nor do you automatically get a license to walk along other
people's beachfront property. [By the way, I don't really own any beachfront
property; this is just a fantasy.]

If I give you a license to use my patent to create standards-compliant
software, you don't automatically get a license to create non-compliant
software or a license to patents owned by third parties. In real life,
depending upon the technology at issue, you should independently evaluate
whether you actually need patent licenses from me or anyone else, and you
may ultimately decide to ignore my offer to give you a license. [By the way,
I don't really own any patents on relevant technology, so don't read into my
failure to give you a license any restriction on your actually being able to
create compliant *or* non-compliant software. From a legal perspective, you
may be perfectly free to do so, depending upon who owns patents and what
licenses they commit to offer.]

Under open source and open standards rules and the practices of most
standards organizations, patent holders don't expressly forbid you from
creating non-compliant implementations of a standard, but neither must they
license you to do so.

Walk upon private property at your own risk.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  ●  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of “Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom
               and Intellectual Property Law” (Prentice Hall 2004)