brainstorming

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Jan 15 16:13:46 UTC 2005

Bjorn Reese writes:
 > Benjamin Rossen wrote:
 >
 > > At present the Open Source Community is desperately trying to
 > > make sure that no bits of protected proprietary software are used
 > > in Open Source Software.
 >
 > I think that you may be confusing the Open Source community with the
 > Free Software community. There are many within the Open Source community
 > that have no problem with proprietary software.

No *moral* problem, I think you mean.  Of course I have a problem or
two with proprietary software: you cannot audit the source code, you
cannot fix bugs, you cannot buy support on the free market, you cannot
add features which the owner of the software finds uneconomic, you
cannot share the software, you must keep track of the license on a
copy of the software (after all, nobody actually installs the
*original*).

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Freedom means allowing
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | people to do things the