For Approval: Microsoft Community License

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Fri Dec 9 20:58:18 UTC 2005

David Dillard wrote:
> Mr. Cowan,
>
> Are you doing this on Microsoft's behalf?
>
> If not, this presents an interesting question: should someone be able to
> submit a license created by another entity for approval as an open
> source license?  I can definitely see a logic to it.  But I'm just not
> sure it would be the right thing to do.

It is more common for someone to ask whether a license is OSI-compliant
directly, but I have seen members of the OSI board submit a license on the
behalf of others before.

As for submitting a license against the creator's approval, I'm not sure whether
that has ever happened.  Some licenses are copyrighted, which would perhaps
affect whether it is OK to submit the license without approval from the creator.

--
-Chuck