Bruce Perens rejected from license-proliferation committee.

Bruno F. Souza bruno at javaman.com.br
Tue Aug 23 04:16:41 UTC 2005

Pablo Barrera Franco wrote:

> I feel very very embarrased. As we say in LA " Estamos hasta las muelas
> de verguenza".

Pablo,

There's nothing to be ashamed off. This is simply part of the process:
once we defined that a committee is a small set of people, that can
commit and take responsibility, it was bound to happen that many people
would not be part of it, and some of those would not like it.

This is not to say that the other opinions are not important, on the
contrary. We had a problem to solve, and we had to bring together a team
of interested people, that had the necessary experience with creating
licenses and that could also influence a major move towards
harmonization of licenses. This is the group that will promote and frame
the discussion, will gather feedback and most important, will commit to
create and deliver a report to the board, based on the discussions and
feedback received.

It is hard to select a small group among so many good people in the
industry. We may argue forever on the different ways we could have used
to arrive at such a group. The OSI Board picked one way of doing it. Had
we done it in a different way -- whatever way -- others would be
unhappy. Even voting or democracy would not necessarily be the best way
to join such team of experts together, and voting would not please all
anyway and would have it's own set of problems. So, we picked the one
way we think will bring best results to the community.

Being transparent is also sticking to the rules. You may not like the
rules, and we accept that not everyone will, but by making exceptions,
or bending the rules, to accommodate sspecial people, we would be in
fact telling everyone else that they are just not special enough.

But, in order to gather feedback from all that want to provide, there's
a mailing list, that you can contribute to as much as you want.
Discussions are done there, in the clear. Final results and intermediary
conclusions will also be available to all to comment. Remember, the
committee is a tool to help the board, and it will not take any final
decision by itself. If you think you have information the committee is
not addressing, or that the chosen committee is not doing a good work,
you are more then welcome to bring that forward to the board,  we can
act on it.

So, come to the discussion. At least come observe, to make sure the
committee is doing it right. Express your opinion along the way. If you
really think the committee is not a good one, submit to us your own
research or report. The board needs a study to base it's decision, and
we will consider all proposed studies or researches before taking a
decision. We just had to pick at least one group to do it, and we did
pick one, in my opinion, a very good one!

Thank you.

Bruno.

--
Bruno.
Bruno Peres Ferreira de Souza                         Brazil's JavaMan
http://www.javaman.com.br                      bruno at javaman.com.br
         if I fail, if I succeed, at least I live as I believe