NPO Developers License

Kishore kramnani at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 15:29:37 UTC 2005

Don you wrote
> I am seeking a license suitable for a group of Non-Profits wishing to
> develop and distribute software. The license should allow access to, and
> modification of the source and prohibit reselling of original or modified
> derivatives. This is to comply with NPO constitutional requirements that:
> "donated products or merchandise must not be resold for profit".\

Seems to me that the license should be viral like GPL.... Call it NFPL
(Not for profit license) where the derivative also has to be for
donation only.

This could be required and be used in realm of possibilities but in my
opnion the restriction on someone to not sale it it un-natural and
un-desirable. If they do make money that is complete donation to them
in real sense. The party that buys it may not be not for profit or a
not for profit that does not know they can get it for free. Only
restrictions should be that sale there modification without showing
the source and giving it back to orginator.

Kishore