NPO Developers License

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Wed Apr 27 21:25:45 UTC 2005

Hi Don,

> The license should allow access to, and
> modification of the source and prohibit reselling of original or
> modified
> derivatives.

If you totally forbid *any* commercial sale (whether or not the
source is released) then I'm afraid your fears are correct -- such
licensing terms would run afoul of the very first sentence of the OSD:

"The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away
the software"
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

and probably others.  You can do a source-available license, but it
would not be open source.

However, it might be worth going back to your NPO to ensure that is
really required.  For example, I presume the intent of that rule is
to ensure that the needy people who receive goods do not 'cash in' on
those donations.  For software, the situation is rather different.
It may be worth asking them to think through whether a re-
interpretation (or amendment) would best serve their desired purpose.

- Ernie P.