Mistaken statement about MPL?

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Apr 12 20:27:01 UTC 2005

Wilson, Andrew wrote:

>This talks about many things, but not specifically NPL.

Russ' statement implies that it is MPL derivatives like the NPL and CDDL
they are concerned about rather than the MPL.
Stallman was wise to copyright the GPL and control that copyright, the
world would be a worse place if we had more than the two GPL derivatives
(LGPL and Affero GPL) that they have allowed.

I think the main problem is the assumption that Open Source folks are
going to help you regardless of what license terms you set and who you
are. One reason that the NPL works at all is that the Mozilla Foundation
_is_ a foundation. People are willing to give a legal non-profit a lot
more trust than Sun Microsystems. Add to that the fact that the CDDL
terms are assymetrical.

The main problem with the MPL seems to be that it has become the
starting point for a number of licenses offered by folks who aren't
intending to be equal partners.

    Thanks

    Bruce