License Wizard; previously Re: An explanation of the difficulty of solving licenseproliferation in one sentence

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Apr 7 23:27:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005/04/07 (MDT), <LMajerus at fenwick.com> wrote:

> I applaud the enthusiasm behind this effort, but I have some questions
> about implementation.

Enthusiasm is of little value; let's see if we can get past that point.

> 1) I'm unclear what the plans are for this wizard when it's done.  Do
> you want to put it on the OSI site? Have it hosted elsewhere?

My plan is simple. If OSI likes the result, they will host and perhaps
even maintain the tool. Others would be free to do the same, possibly
with different configurations of questions and license weights.

> 2) I want to point out that the CONTENT of the wizard is incredibly
> important and that the questions and answers may constitute legal
> advice.  I think that the OSI board needs to vet the content (or help
> provide it).

That is why "content" should be fully configurable (by whoever
hosts/administers a given wizard installation), I think.
I do not want to be responsible for your legal advice :-).

Hope this explains my thinking. Please note that I am just trying to
coordinate things a bit. If somebody else wants to step in, please do so!

Alex.

P.S. Creative Commons folks were very responsive and gave us access to
most of the wizard-related code. We are evaluating whether we can reuse
at least some portions of it. I will post a summary on this list later.