"viral" (was RE: Licensing options for firmware)

Benjamin Rossen b.rossen at onsnet.nu
Thu Apr 7 10:53:33 UTC 2005

On Thursday 7 April 2005 08:01, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Benjamin Rossen (b.rossen at onsnet.nu):
> FWIW, it also covers the Latin usage.  You really should read
> Christiansen's piece:  It's about as comprehensive a treatment of the
> question as you'll find.

Done. Very interesting. The matter is not resolved; the page contains a number
of suggestions, drawing a general but not emphatic conclusion that the word
was not used in the plural. In which case, both my Latin dictionaries and a
number of on-line dictionaries are incorrect. I am insufficiently fluent in
Latin to add to that. On the other hand, I think the reference to slime is
not correct, and the failure to refer to the use of 'virus' for medicinal and
magical potions is an unfortunate omission, perhaps omitted because we no
longer share the Roman opinion regarding the medicinal properties of snake
venom; nor, for that matter, of snake oil. I shall not make a crusade of this
point. VIR SAPIENS NON URINAT CONTRA VENTUM.

Benjamin