compatibility and the OSD

Bob Scheifler Bob.Scheifler at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 22 19:49:13 UTC 2004

> I wouldn't call that a meaningful restriction:  Attribution is a
> (disclaimable) right automatically available to all copyright holders.

The question is not about copyright law, it's about what the OSD does
and doesn't require. Looking for what attribution restrictions are
permitted by the OSD, I look to OSD#4, which only talks about permitted
restrictions on *source* code, not on binary. The argument that has
been made, as I understand it, is that my license it not permitted to
place restrictions on which executables can be distributed. And yet,
the Attribution Assurance License does precisely that. From an OSD
perspective, I cannot see what the difference is.

- Bob