For Approval: TURKIX PUBLIC LICENSE

Emre Sokullu sokullu at ultratv.net
Tue Oct 26 18:49:50 UTC 2004

To sum up my previous mail,

So in my case forexample (hosting control panel) :

1) An individual may install the Product to his/her server and use it for his own goods.

2) A dedicated server provider may sell preinstalled package to its clients

3) A free shared hosting firm that makes money out of advertisings or a service provider like Sourceforge may still use the Product and let people be served of this product.

..

4) But companies may not use the Product or make tricks for using it, in monthly fee based shared hosting environments.

GPL can protect non web based applications to be used freely, but for the web it is not enough..

GPL also permits open source developers to dual license their product and make money out of commercial usages (examples: qt, mysql)
But for web based applications this is not possible..

This license is not just applicable to my example (web hosting panel) but also to content management systems like xoops, bulletin boards like phpBB etc.
It is just matter of selection. I think you should give this freedom of selection to open source developers. This license does not have a negative impact on both users' and developers' rights. Contrarily, it protects their rights.

I wonder whether there are people who thinks like me and agree with this license (or a modified version of it that goes parallel with what i've stated above)
If I'm alone, or if I miss sth, of course I'll give up, and use an OSI unapproved license.. :(
But i have defended this license till now, because in my knowledge, i don't think that this license breaks open source definitions.