For Approval: TURKIX PUBLIC LICENSE

Arnoud Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Tue Oct 26 09:24:32 UTC 2004

Emre Sokullu wrote:
> * d) You cannot take this Program directly or a modified version of it
> (the Program), and sell this service. You cannot even show advertorial
> programs on web pages using this Program, or showing a part of this
> Program on one of its frames, inner frames. This means, you must offer
> free service through internet for all users interacting with this
> Program, or a derivated work. If you use this Program on any part of
> your internet based service, you cannot claim bandwidth usage, hardware
> requirements or any other thing as a reason for selling this service or
> making profit of it somehow.

This is in my opinion a clear violation of article 6 of the
open source definition:

6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program
in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the
program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic
research.

The Affero license is different because it requires disclosure of
the (derivative) code in case you perform the work in a publicly
accessible website. But they do not prevent you from charging for
such use of the work.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself