Lisp Lesser GNU Public License (LLGPL)

Olivier Drolet trimtab at mac.com
Wed Oct 13 14:48:40 UTC 2004

Its late and I'm in a bit of a rush, so if this seems terse, please
forgive me.

On Oct 11, 2004, at 22:38, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Olivier Drolet writes:
>> I've noticed the following license is different from the list of
>> OSI certified licenses on your Web site:
>>
>> http://opensource.franz.com/     (see "License Terms")
>>
>> In a nut-shell, the LLGPL consists of a Lisp-specific preamble +
>> LGPL. See http://opensource.franz.com/preamble.html
>
> You are quite correct.  The question is how best to repair the
> situation.  Should we ask the Franz folks to stop calling it "Open
> Source" unless they get the LLGPL approved?

Mine was not a criticism of Franz for using the term "Open Source",
just a suggestion that your group might be interested in looking at
this new license and seeing if it might be sufficiently compliant with
your requirements or standards to warrant including it among your list
of "Open Source" licenses.

> Or should we ask them to
> submit their license for approval?

A priori, I am completely ignorant of the necessary OSI procedure. I
don't know if Franz feel the need to see their LLGPL certified as
"Open Source" by your organization.

> Or should we ask them to modify
> the preamble so that it does not override the LGPL terms?

How big a problem is the overriding nature of their preamble? Again,
IANAL, but you might very well be able to tell me.  :)

> Or is it
> something that is of so little consequence that we should ignore it?

Well, the necessity of this license, IIUC, stems from the nature of
the language environment. Some of Common Lisp's features are found in
other language environments that might also warrant a license similar
to the LLGPL. Perhaps shades of grey should indeed be added to the
sentence "Wherever there is a conflict between this document and the
LGPL, this document takes precedence over the LGPL."? I.e., spelling
out the parts of the LLGPL that are likely to conflict and explain the
rationale as to why it should take precedence over the LGPL?

Regards,

Olivier Drolet