Fwd: Modified GPL Question

James W. Thompson, II jwthompson2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 18:00:32 UTC 2004

I know this may not be specifically germane to this list but I wanted
to try my luck at getting a response. Below is a message I sent to
licensing at gnu.org regarding a 'Modified GPL' concern, the original
message explains the issue best. I want to know if there is anything I
am missing on this issue.

Thank you for your consideration.

=== BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE ===

I intend to distribute a project under the GPL but would like to know
if the following license notice would actually violate the 'spirit' or
'letter' of the GPL. The area of my concern is the second paragraph
which I have added, the idea is to bridge the gap between those who
might produce derivatives or extensions and wish to license them under
a different "open source" licesnse not necessarily compatible with the
GPL. I tried to be explicit that this provision does not change the
license of this project but is merely for convenience's sake.

Thank you for your time....

==== BEGIN LICENSE NOTICE ====

                           Atheteo, Project License

                        Copyright 2004, James Thompson
                             All rights reserved.

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation; either version 2 of the License; or (at your option) any later
version.

In addition to the terms described in the GPL you also have permission to distr-
ibute, integrate and otherwise use/modify this software in conjunction with any
other software package(s) distributed under an approved OSI "open source"
license as listed at http://www.opensource.org. This provision does not change
the fact that this software is licensed under the terms of the GPL, it simply
provides greater flexibility in "open source" development efforts. At no time
may this software be made part of a "closed source" product in violation of the
terms of the GPL without the express consent of this software's copyright
holder(s).

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY
WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should also have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
with this program in the file named "GPL". If not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA or
visit their web page on the internet at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html.

==== END LICENSE NOTICE ====

--
James W. Thompson, II (New Orleans, LA)