Effect of the MySQL FLOSS License Exception?

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rdixon at cyberspaces.org
Fri Jun 18 12:56:00 UTC 2004

I agree with every point Larry states. I also think that if an "author"
chooses to adopt a license (the GPL) or is concerned about "compatibility"
with the terms of the GPL, the author may find it prudent to take into
account the views of the drafter(s) of the GPL...especially if they
conflict with other interpretations of the GPL.   One might then choose to
ignore those views, but that is a different matter.  For my part, I have
never fount Richard Stallman's views on the interpretation of the GPL as to
matters of linking to be entirely clear or uncontroversial with regard to
likely legal meanings of "derivative" work; notwithstanding that courts are
often imprecise about the meaning of derivative works as well.

If this issue is important to anyone, I remain convinced that the best work
around is to use something like the OSL or a draft of one's own license and
clarify, clarify, clarify.

- Rod

---------
Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org

This email never should be construed as legal advice.