OSD #6 (fields of endeavor) and research vs commercial rights

Bob Scheifler Bob.Scheifler at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 14 19:16:05 UTC 2004

Thanks for the response.

> My take on the discrimination against fields of
> endeavor means that a license can't be restricted for
> use in any particular industry.

The phrasing of term #6, as well as the written rationale for it,
seem to me to be broader than particular industry. The term itself
gives two examples, "used in a business" (which I take to mean
"commercial use") and "genetic research" (which I take to be an
example of "particular industry"), I assume because they are
not equivalent examples. The rationale talks specifically
about commercial use in the broad.

- Bob