OSD #6 (fields of endeavor) and research vs commercial rights

Randall Burns randall_burns at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 18:37:56 UTC 2004

My take on the discrimination against fields of
endeavor means that a license can't be restricted for
use in any particular industry. I don't see where the
RPL does that. Everyone that enhances or modifies RPL
code  is required to share their resulting code(if
they use it) with the world. Granted, the RPL doesn't
have the same privacy protections as the GPL--and some
organizations with privacy concerns might find the GPL
acceptable and the RPL repugnant-but I don't see how
the organizations that choose to avoid RPL code are
being discriminated against.