KDE violates IBM patent

Ruth A. Kramer rhkramer at fast.net
Fri Jun 11 14:29:33 UTC 2004

Robert Osfield wrote:
> if (caps_lock_on)
> {
>         beep(0.5);
>         printf("Your caps lock is on.\n");
> }
>
> So this infringes on a IBM patent. great....  I hope IBM employees are
> thrilled about working for such an innovative and forward looking company.

I am not trying to defend IBM or this patent (because I agree that it is
trivial and just sucks that it is patented), but, as a general comment
(re all inventions, not just this one) there is more to any invention
(or better, innovation) than just figuring out how to do it, there is
also the need to recognize it is worth doing (and possible) (or
alternately, just recognize that it is possible, worthwhile or not).

I was going to ask (rhetorically) how many computers / operating systems
incorporate such an alarm, then I remembered that there were (are) DOS
utilities (way back when) that display the status of things like the
NumLock, CapsLock, and ScrollLock on the screen.

It seems to me that should be enough prior art to kill this patent.

regards,
Randy Kramer