Dual licensing

Marius Amado Alves amado.alves at netcabo.pt
Sat Jun 5 18:13:33 UTC 2004

> With BSD and GPL, it is  possible to *sell* software.

That is not what I asked.

>  > How have you been keeping people from giving copies of it away gratis
>  > (hence invalidating your business)?
>
> Probably they  provide support free of  cost if the  customer buys the
> software from them. But that is not the concern of this list.

I explicitly excluded support in my question.

* * *

Maybe I should give a quick note on what's going on here:

For the 100000th time someone is trying to say that you can sell open
source software. Some people including myself sustain that you can't, in
practice. (That is, you can charge, and even sell a couple of copies,
but you'll be out of business the next day, when someone starts giving
copies for peanuts.) I asked the questions I did for two possibilities:

- I'm wrong, in which case I'm honestly interested in being proved such

or

- the person who said is selling open source software is wrong, in which
case trying (and failing) to answer the questions will get this out of
the way (for the 100000th time)