Dual licensing

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at yahoo.co.in
Sat Jun 5 17:47:26 UTC 2004

Marius Amado Alves said on Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 06:14:25PM +0100,:

 > "My employer sells commercial open source software.
 > It fully complies with the OSD--in fact, it is under the BSD license."
 >
 > Do you really sell the software (not support, not buy-out)?

With BSD and GPL, it is  possible to *sell* software.  If X is willing
to pay Y  for s/w written by  Z, neither BSD or its  variants, nor the
GPL prevents it.

 > How have you been keeping people from giving copies of it away gratis
 > (hence invalidating your business)?

Probably they  provide support free of  cost if the  customer buys the
software from them. But that is not the concern of this list.

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com

>From The Devil's Dictionary (1881-1906) [devil]:
  LAWYER, n.  One skilled in circumvention of the law.