Creative Commons Attribution

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Fri Jun 4 19:59:22 UTC 2004

    EP> Well obnoxiousness per se is not part of the OSI criteria,
    EP> though it will surely get you castigated on this mailing
    EP> list. :-)

It would be an interesting exercise to see how obnoxious and difficult
a license you could make that would still be OSD-compliant.

I don't find requests for credit to be obnoxious, but I can see how an
excess of required credits could weigh down a piece that's compiled
from the work of many, many contributors.

    EP> There certainly are licenses that require attribution of
    EP> various kinds that are OSI-approved, like the Artistic License
    EP> and specifically the "Attribution Assurance License".

    EP> http://opensource.org/licenses/attribution.php

That's an excellent example. Thank you for doing my homework for
me. B-)

    EP> Can you describe how and if the CC license requirements may
    EP> differ from this?

I can't see any significant difference. The text of the Creative
Commons Attribution license element follows:

   2. If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or
      publicly digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or
      Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices for
      the Work and give the Original Author credit reasonable to the
      medium or means You are utilizing by conveying the name (or
      pseudonym if applicable) of the Original Author if supplied; the
      title of the Work if supplied; to the extent reasonably
      practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that
      Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such
      URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing
      information for the Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work,
      a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work
      (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author," or
      "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). Such
      credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided,
      however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective
      Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other
      comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as
      prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.

I think the only difference is that a changelog-like note of the
modifications or use made of the original work is required.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan at wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://wikitravel.org/en/