Creative Commons Attribution

Ernest Prabhakar Prabhaka at apple.com
Fri Jun 4 19:06:35 UTC 2004

Hi Evan,

On Jun 4, 2004, at 8:46 AM, Evan Prodromou wrote:

> The Attribution license element requires that the upstream creator's
> copyright notices be kept intact; that their names or pseudonyms, if
> provided, be included in the work where other authors' names are, as
> best as possible for the medium; and that an URL for license and
> copyright info be included.
>
> (This is a summary, and the details are much better explained in the
> legal text of the licenses, which can be found at the URLs above.
> Some people compare this requirement to the notorious "obnoxious BSD
> advertising clause". I disagree, at least about the obnoxious part,
> but that's just me.)
>
> ANYWAYS, my correspondent said that a previous license that had
> similar attribution requirements was refused approval. My question to
> the audience is: does anyone remember this incident? Is there
> something about requiring attribution that's not OSD-compatible?

Well obnoxiousness per se is not part of the OSI criteria, though it
will surely get you castigated on this mailing list. :-)

There certainly are licenses that require attribution of various kinds
that are OSI-approved, like the Artistic License and specifically the
"Attribution Assurance License".

http://opensource.org/licenses/attribution.php

Can you describe how and if the CC license requirements may differ from
this?

-- Ernie P.
IANAL, TINLA, etc., etc.