On the licensing terms of the open source licenses text

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rdixon at cyberspaces.org
Sun Jul 11 00:59:26 UTC 2004

Larry & Philippe - my take on this issue is that it is not a good idea to
copy an open source license, if the author of the license text explicitly
withholds permission.  On the other hand, I have always assumed that the
claim to copyright in an open source license text is both ironic and
debatable.

The irony arises from the fact that open source licenses not only are often
(nearly always) are intended to be distributed by those who are not the
purported author (the license often "travels" with the copy of the work),
but the practice of posting approved open source liscenses on opensource.org
connotes that the text may be used by others. Granted, these practices may
not disrupt an author's rights, but it is an ironic position.

The debatable aspect arises from the fact that by the nature of the special
class or type of software license, most open source license texts are
necessarily derivative of a preexisting free/open source license (except,
perhaps, the first one or two original licenses).

Few (if any) are going to draft an open source license without studying a
preexisting license very closely. In addition, if there are terms-of-art,
you will wisely likely want to use those terms rather than creating your
own.  Consequently, the copyright in most open source license texts is more
illusion than real. Even so, this should not mean that you should copy a
license text, change a few terms, claim it as your own, but identify it as
the OSL, GPL, or whatever. As has been noted on this list often, the way you
use a preexisting open source license as a template for your own use should
be done with careful planning.

-Rod