On the licensing terms of the open source licenses text

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Jul 9 23:07:39 UTC 2004

Philippe Ombredanne wrote:
> So the questions are:
> How can I reuse the text of a license like the OSL to create a new
> license?
> Is this licensed under the OSL?
> Or restricted to Larry's terms?
>
> Can I create a new license, for instance the nexB public license, based
> on the text of the OSL, or other license text but with every reference
> to the OSL removed, except for copyright attributions, creating a
> derivative work of the license text?
>
> And if I use an existing OSI approved license as a base, would I need to
> go through the full legal commentary to submit it for approval? (BTW, I
> know this was debated in the past, but did not find any conclusion on
> the topic.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Philippe

Cheers, indeed! :-)

I'm looking forward to hearing the discussion. I certainly don't want to be
like some power-grabbing monopolist who claims more intellectual property
rights than the law allows. What part, after all, of my license is
copyrightable subject matter? Everything? We've made copyright so expansive
that I expect to see such notices on graffiti soon.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
General counsel, Open Source Initiative (www.opensource.org)