Licenses and subterfuge

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Feb 25 18:57:06 UTC 2004

Chris,

	Let me offer a simpler non-lawyer and non-legal advice.  I
will try to state it so that there are no (or fewer) gray areas :-).
Please interpret the three clauses below as a whole.

	0) Interface (a published API) is not copyrightable and,
	   hence, cannot be a viral component. However, header files
	   or any other software component implementing an interface
	   is copyrightable and hence, may be viral.

	1) Your software that does not use viral components is
	   not viral unless you use a viral license yourself.

	2) If your client takes your non-viral software, links or
	   otherwise mixes it with viral software, and distributes
	   the result, then your client may have to open their sources.
	   This has nothing to do with your software, only with
	   clients' derivative work (the mix) and only when the mix
	   is distributed with viral components.

Thus:

Using any interface, including an interface that is supported by some
GPL library (e.g., readline) or even an interface that is supported
only by a GPL library, will not make your software viral.

If static linking is the only option, do not use any interfaces that
the client will not be able to find non-viral libraries for. Warn the
client not to use any viral libraries when building static software
binaries for distribution.

If binaries are linked dynamically by end users, then your client does
not distribute viral libraries and, hence, does not have to open
sources. For example, you can use interfaces that have only viral
implementations. However, this assumes that end-users will not want to
distribute the _binaries_ further (they would not be able to).

If you like the interface, but your client cannot find a non-viral
library for it, you can write your own non-viral library for that
interface and give that to the client (for dynamic or static linking).

For example, it is absolutely safe to use C++ STL API for your code.
STL has nothing to do with GPL or FSF. However, your client should not
staticly link with viral implementations of STL before distributing
binaries. AFAIK, GCC implementation of STL is not viral.

Note that the above rules imply that what you say in documentation is
irrelevant. For example, if you write software that uses published
readline interface and instruct all your users to dynamically link
with GPL readline (for whatever reason), _your_ software is not
subject to GPL. Only the resulting mix is. Again, your software would
not know anything about readline; it will only know about some
published interface that readline implements.

Whether the linking is dynamic or static is relevant only as far as
binary distribution is concerned. The only question is whether
_distributed_ software has viral components. If your client staticly
builds and uses a viral component, they may have to open sources. If
your client distribution does not contain any viral components, then
the licenses for those unused viral components are irrelevant for your
client (but relevant for end users).

Whether non-viral libraries exist or whether viral libraries are used
by your client's clients is irrelevant for the entity distributing
software without viral components.

HTH, IANAL, TINLA,

Alex.

P.S. The above is not to be interpreted as a message against or for
     viral libraries and other attempts to force humankind into
     happiness.