The Copyright Act preempts the GPL

Rod Dixon rodd at cyberspaces.org
Mon Feb 9 20:02:41 UTC 2004

Hmm...there is a part of your argument that is appealing in a conceptual
sense, and I think it would be correct to say that Copyright law has
allowed for distinctions between the compiled program and source code. For
example, one could refer to source code as a literal aspect of software
and at least parts of the compiled program's non-literal aspects (e.g.,
user interface). With the use of IDE's to compile (especially for
graphical user interfaces) programs, one could argue that the non-literal
aspect (certainly some of it) of a program is machine generated. Even so,
this may just be a modern path to the same point Copyright law already has
arrived at from litigation and allegations in the 1990's involving
Microsoft, Apple, Lotus, and a couple of others.

Rod
rod at cyberspaces.org