The Copyright Act preempts the GPL

Peterson, Scott K (HP Legal) scott.k.peterson at hp.com
Mon Feb 9 16:03:52 UTC 2004

If, when impeded in some way from undertaking one of the actions
exclusive to the copyright holder, a copyright holder could go to court
and use the copyright rights to overcome the impediment - that would be
an exercise of an affirmative right.

As I am not aware of an example of a copyright holder exercising a right
in such a way, I continue to find it most helpful to think of copyright
as a negative right.

-- Scott