For Approval: Open Source Software Alliance License

Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Sat Sep 27 08:03:31 UTC 2003

Sean Chittenden wrote:
> I know that, but I want people to take bits and make them proprietary.
> More correctly.  In my own context, I want to be able to use the
> fruits of my labor.  The contributions that I seek are from other
> widget makers using the same tool for their widget.

In that case, a "community" style license may be more appropriate.
For example Netscape uses (used?) this. All modified releases are to
be publicly available (much like the GPL), but furthermore everyone
who is not Sean Chittenden has to license his modifications to Sean
under arbitrary terms. This allows Sean to do whatever he wants, for
example selling the modifications.

To avoid duplication, it doesn't help if you forbid the GPL. You
need availability of source on usable terms.

Arnoud
PS: I am not sure whether such a license could be OSI certified,
as it discriminates against people unwilling or unable to supply
you with source (what Debian calls the Chinese Dissident test)
--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself