LicenseFinder?

Stan P. van de Burgt stan at dmo.com
Sun Sep 7 11:09:54 UTC 2003

Dear OSI board, dear all,

I browsed through the licenses (and FAQ) on the
http://opensource.org/licenses/ pages several times the last couple
of months, and each time I was turned off after a while by the vast
number of them. I know that most OS projects just use GPL, LGPL, BSD,
or Apache style, but for some projects other licenses will probably
fit the business model better.

My question: Is there a taxonomy of licenses, or better: a concise
set of questions to answer, in order to select the right OSI approved
license(s) for a project out of the 70+ present?

If there is such a "Answer these 6 yes/no questions and I'll tell you
your license" site, a "LicenseFinder", I'd surely like to know. If
not, I volunteer to help building one (and learning about the
differences in the process :).

- Stan

--
Stan P. van de Burgt   stan at dmo.com (PGP 0x853296C5)
DMO, P.O.box 1248, 3500 BE, Utrecht, the Netherlands