That Notorious Suit (Slightly OT)

Nathan Kelley digitaleon at runbox.com
Wed Oct 29 07:03:27 UTC 2003

To OSI License Discussion subscribers,

By "That Notorious Suit" I mean the ongoing drama between The Santa
Cruz Operation and International Business Machines over breach of
contract.

I appears that the GnU General Public License, as part of routine
proceedings in the case, is to be examined:

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5098610.html

Reaction to this at Slashdot, OSNews and other sites was predictable.

Of course, the opportunity for the GnU General Public License to be
weighed, measured, and not found wanting is obvious, as much as the
potential consequences if it is found wanting.

The next logical step is to ask what flow-on effects a ruling in either
direction would have - or might have - on other OSI-approved licenses.
Not being familiar with U.S. law, I would appreciate any insights on
this point.

Also, I'm glad to see an increasing use of open source products at the
enterprise level in an open manner. It was not so long ago that the
attitude was one of "hush hush".

Cheers, Nathan.