non-aggression pacts for patents and the GPL

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at math.umd.edu
Tue Nov 25 08:23:00 UTC 2003

Hello Will,

Note: I am not a lawyer.  I am simply a user with a good understanding of
copyright law and open source licenses.

> That said, what would any of you make of what lawyers call reciprocal
> non-assertion pacts? That is, would it be a good thing if Company X let
> anyone use its patented, open-source technology on a royalty-free basis
> _as long as_ that person or group agreed not to sue Company X for patent
> infringement?

As a developer, I like the idea and I would be willing to release use and
incorporate code released under a GPL-like license that had that
condition.

Personally I think that software patents are a huge problem and I would be
happy if they all just went away.  An agreement like this one would, imho,
be a positive step.

Having said that, some people might feel happier if you replaced the word
"patent" above by "software patent".  I am not one of those people.

> Suppose you accepted such an arrangement as an open source developer.
>
> 1 -- Would this comport with the GPL and open source licenses generally?

It would, as far as I know, not comport to the GPL, since it has a
clause that says that you are not allowed to add additional restrictions.
Most open source licenses don't have this clause though.  The only
licenses that do are the GPL and LGPL.  But these are the most important
licenses since they cover most of Free/Libre Open Source Software.

Now... this does not mean that the idea is not feasible.  You *might* be
able to write a license that is not the GPL but is compatible with the
GPL.

I am not sure how such a license would look like.  The license would have
to permit re-distribution of the code without any restriction in addition
to those of the GPL.

We'd need to think about this.

> 2 -- Would you take such a deal, assuming the contract was properly
> drafted and you believed Company X was acting in good faith?

Yes.

Notice your clause : "you believed Company X was acting in good faith".

It does depend somewhat on the history of the company.  If Microsoft did
that I would not trust them.  But for most companies, assuming that the
contract is properly crafted, yes I would.

I'll think some more about (1).  If I come up with anything useful I'll
let you know.

Cheers,
Daniel.