non-aggression pacts for patents and the GPL

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller robin at roblimo.com
Tue Nov 25 05:51:33 UTC 2003

>I'm Will Rodger, and I'm director of public policy at the Open Source and
>Industry Alliance. We're a project of the Computer & Communications
>Industry Association here in Washington DC.
>
>I have a question for y'all.

This is not a troll or a hostile person. Will called me (and others)
about the idea of  adding some sort of  reciprocal non-assertion pact to
the licensing language for some previously proprietary code a company
that is a member of his trade group is talking about releasing as open
source.

I told Will he should submit the idea here and see what other interested
parties thought of it. I rather like it myself, since it might encourage
more companies to open their code -- and might even prevent some future
SCO-type incidents. But that's just me, and I'm an observer rather than
an expert.

- Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Editor & Reporter, NewsForge, Slashdot, etc.