Must publish vs. must supply

Abe Kornelis abe at bixoft.nl
Thu Mar 13 21:43:58 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Rafn <dagon at dagon.net>

> Any group should be able to share
> modifications among themselves without the outside world (including the
> original author) being aware of it.
--> I do not regard open-source as a one-sided mirror - if it is
      to work at all, then it must have two equal faces.
      I give away my software for free - to the public. If you use it, ok!
      If you modify it you either keep your modifications private or you
      make your modifications public just like I did with the original.
      I'm even willing to make this easy for you by publishing the
      modifications for you in case you prefer not to do so yourself.

      I can very well understand the desire of some to circulate
      modifiactions within a limited circle - but that conflicts with
      the restrictions I intend to license my software. If you cannot
      live with that, fine, please do not modify the software,
      keep your modifications private, or choose some other software
      to serve your needs.

     I'm not going to try and 'convert'  you to share my point of view.
     But I do want us to understand each other's point of view.
     I do not believe my proposal is in conflict with the OSD,
     nor do I believe that it violates the spirit of open source.
     If you do not agree on these points, I would gladly learn
     your arguments.

> You're not compelled to write nor distribute open source software.  But if
> you want the benefits of doing so, you must do so fully.
--> Well, that's exactly my point, except that I would also say that
       you're not compelled to use or modify open source software,
       but if you want the benefits of doing so, you must live by its rules.

       This I expect to be the cause of us two interpreting the above
       (at least seemingly) in opposing ways.

Kind regards, Abe.