Must publish vs. must supply

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Mar 10 04:21:26 UTC 2003

Chris F Clark scripsit:

> As a vendor of
> proprietary software, I would like an open source license that
> prevents or atleast substantially "discourages" commercial users who
> wish to use it for closed source applications, but allows them to use
> it when developing open source applications.
>
> This would allow us to give away our library in open source form.
> Thus, increasing the supply of open source materials, while still
> preserving our ability to derive our revenues from commercial
> customers (even if that revenue might drop).

Sure, I'm all for that.  Offer a GPLed or OSLed version and a commercial
one, then.  Just make sure if anyone sends you patches that you get
them to sign over their copyright ownership of the patches.
This is what Sleepycat Software (http://www.sleepycat.com) does quite
successfully.

> And, yes to answer an ealier question from John Cowan, we would like a
> license with legal teeth to compell that open source usage,

Certainly.  I just didn't think that forcing people to *publish* their
changes to those who did not receive the original is warranted.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan at ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There