Updated license - please comment

Christophe Dupre duprec at scorec.rpi.edu
Thu Jun 19 21:09:55 UTC 2003

Hello Mark,
would you be satisfied if we added a clause that looked something like:
At your discretion, you may apply the terms of the ordinary GNU GPL (as
published by the FSF) to your modified copy of the Library, and copy and
distribute such work under the terms of the GNU GPL, provided that you
meet all these conditions:
	a) You must change all the notices that refer to this license, so
that they refer to the GNU GPL;
	b) You must change the name under which the modified work is
distributed;
	c) You must provide notice that the modified work is based on the
Library, and provide information on how to get the original Library.
These conditions are there to make sure there's no confusion between the
Library and the work based on the Library distributed under the GNU GPL.

I think I can sell this the management, but would like your thoughts
first.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Mark Rafn wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Christophe Dupre wrote:
>
> > Hello Mark,
> > I've just re-read the OSD document, and I'm not sure we read the same
> > one. You claim that 2a and 2d are unacceptable and violate OSD#3.
> > OSD#3 is not violated: you can change the code, you can distribute those
> > modifications. #3 doesn't say that it needs to be completely
> > unrestricted. In particular, anyone could decide to fork the code and
> > maintain their own tree.
>
> Only if their fork is still a software library.  Nobody can fork it to
> become an application.  Defining "software library" becomes tricky, and
> it's unclear whether it can be forked to become a Mozilla plugin, for
> example.
>
> Would code that allowed modification only if the result was "A Microsoft
> Windows Application" be considered open source?  That allows most
> modifications too.
> --
> Mark Rafn    dagon at dagon.net    <http://www.dagon.net/>
> --

Christophe Dupre
System Administrator, Scientific Computation Research Center
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Troy, NY        USA
Phone: (518) 276-2578  -  Fax: (518) 276-4886