Updated license - please comment

Mark Rafn dagon at dagon.net
Thu Jun 19 20:40:59 UTC 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Christophe Dupre wrote:

> Hello Mark,
> I've just re-read the OSD document, and I'm not sure we read the same
> one. You claim that 2a and 2d are unacceptable and violate OSD#3.
> OSD#3 is not violated: you can change the code, you can distribute those
> modifications. #3 doesn't say that it needs to be completely
> unrestricted. In particular, anyone could decide to fork the code and
> maintain their own tree.

Only if their fork is still a software library.  Nobody can fork it to
become an application.  Defining "software library" becomes tricky, and
it's unclear whether it can be forked to become a Mozilla plugin, for
example.

Would code that allowed modification only if the result was "A Microsoft
Windows Application" be considered open source?  That allows most
modifications too.
--
Mark Rafn    dagon at dagon.net    <http://www.dagon.net/>