license idea (revised)

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Jul 16 22:05:15 UTC 2003

Chuck Swiger scripsit:

> Would anyone care to comment on the licensing found here:
>
> http://www.backplane.com/licensing.html

The examples here make it pretty clear what the rules are.  But in general
the concept of "corporate non-commercial use" is bogus.  Excluding
not-for-profit corporations, everything a corporation does has a
commercial purpose.  If I use the Backplane database software under the
free license to manage in-house email, then I save money on (say)
Microsoft Exchange.  The result is that I can sell my products from
my website with lower overhead, so I have made an "indirect use" of
Backplane to further my e-commerce activities.  Where does one draw
the line?

--
Dream projects long deferred            John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
usually bite the wax tadpole.            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan