Fwd: Apple GCC source code license (APSL)

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Jan 28 06:56:45 UTC 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:17:41 -0800 (PST)
"James Michael DuPont" <mdupont777 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The license seems similar to the GPL, but does not mention it in the
> license. The source code of the gcc in the apple repository is under
> GPL, but I don't know if what is stronger binding, the click through
> APSL license, or the copyright based GPL license.
>
> So, that means that the gcc changes are no longer under the gpl, but
> under the APSL?

It would be a breach of the GPL by Apple for it to distribute its
version of gcc under any other licence than the GPL, unless it has the
agreement of the FSF (which for all I know it might have obtained).  The
more likely and satisfactory interpretation of the APSL click-through
page though is that the modifications are dual-licensed, so that the GPL
applies to them as part of gcc, and the APSL applies to them in their
separate form.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)