"Derivative Work" for Software Defined

PETERSON,SCOTT K (HP-USA,ex1) scott.k.peterson at hp.com
Fri Jan 17 14:27:55 UTC 2003

I agree with the outcome of the book and magazine examples, but for a
completely different reason: one involves copying the work of both authors
and the other does not. I'm going to use these examples as an excuse to
discuss some of the issues to which I believe people refer when they talk
about "contracts" v. "[something else]". I'm not my self comfortable that
"contract" is the right word to use for one side of this contrast (I believe
that, analytically, contract law has a role in both of these), but I'll use
it here because I don't see another term readily at hand.

To set up some terminology, let's assume that the two parties are an author
of some material and a user who wants to do something with that material.

I believe that the "contract" situation is one in which it is necessary to
get the user's specific agreement to the contract terms - something by which
they have manifest their assent to being obligated to the terms of the
agreement such as might be indicated by signing a paper document or clicking
an 'accept' button. Without such assent, there is no legal mechanism that
the author can prevent the user from doing the thing stated in the
agreement.

In the "something else" case, the thing that the user wants to do is
something about which there is a public law (as contrasted with the private
law of a contract) that says that the user can't do the thing without the
author's permission. The public law of interest, of course, is copyright
law. So, if what the user wants to do <includes> anything that is an
exclusive right of the author under the copyright law, then the author can
legally prevent that behavior of the user, even if the user has never agreed
with the author to take on any obligations to the author.

I emphasize the word <includes> to point out a detail that I think is
getting lost in some discussions.

In the book example: "affect the distribution of Dean Koontz books that
happened to be sitting on the same book shelf " - without that sort of
separate "contract" that I've described, this is true. But that fact has
nothing to do with how the relationship between the book. It is because your
hypothetical does not include doing anything that is an exclusive right of
King - you have not assumed that the person distributing Koontz also wants
to do something that needs King's permission, such as copy and distribute
King's book. For example, King might offer the permission to copy and
distribute his book on the condition that the person doing so not distribute
Koontz's book. Note that in the magazine example, permission IS required
because the hypothetical assumes copying and distribution of stories by both
authors. The significant difference between the two is the copying, not
whether a collective work is protected under the copyright law.

-- Scott
Scott K. Peterson
Corporate Counsel
Hewlett-Packard Company