Problems in Open Source Licensing

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 17 19:39:52 UTC 2003

For cases 2 and 3: who is to say that I haven't, in the past, distributed
the code to someone else and they happened to distribute a copy back to me?
For that matter, did I really get it directly from you, or did I get it from
someone else, who was redistributing it under the GPL?

If you're trying to un-GPL something that you have previously GPL'd, you're
going to have a very hard time suing anyone who has a copy of the code from
before you did that.  Best you can do is stop distributing it, and hope that
your software was unpopular enough that no one else will bother to
redistribute it either.

- Bruce - IANAL -