Which License should I pick?

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Dec 10 00:02:13 UTC 2003

begin  Scott Long  quotation:
> I hadn't considered the issue of ownership of copyright for
> contributed code. Is it common for open source projects to stipulate
> that contributors either transfer copyright or agree to allow the
> owner to change the license? If I asked for such an agreement would
> I be scaring away potential contributors?

	Well, one thing you can do is require that all submissions
come under some extremely permissive license, like the MIT X license
or a "do whatever you want" grant of permission.  Then you don't need
to worry about relicensing your combined or derived work, since it's
not likely to conflict.  This method is likely to be MUCH less hairy
than getting release of copyright to you.

	How do you currently accept submissions?  Do you take patches?
Third-party code modules or files?  Think of how you can make clear
the permissions granted to you by the contributors.

	-- Lewis Mumford

end