Nees help selecting a license

Mikko Valimaki mikko.valimaki at hiit.fi
Thu Apr 10 05:22:00 UTC 2003

By the way, I am lawyer, though only in Europe :)

The original question was if in order to "clear" copyright developers
should either (1) rewrite the code submissions or (2) get (written)
copyright assignments.

I proposed rewriting where Andy Tai replied:

> Isn't this risky as the reimplementations of the
> patches are not clean room?

Now isn't relying on a copyright assignment much more risky? You cannot
ever be sure that the one who assigns you the copyright is in reality
the legal owner of that piece of code.

1. In many countries the employer owns by definition all code written by
employees. Therefore, an individual coder has no authority to assign the
copyright to any code he contributes to open source projects which he
has written while at work. Is this common in practise? I don't know. It
is at least possible and we know there are companies hostile to open
source who might sue.

2. You never know if the code submission was originally stolen from some
third party. Take DeCSS as a popular example. Does anyone know if Jon
Johanssen really wrote it before submitting it in public? (sure, the
example is biased because that piece of code might be illegal anyway and
therefore the original authors won't sue anyone...).

3. In open source development some code contributors might be anonymous.
In many countires, a copyright assigment between you and Mickey Mouse is
invalid.

Regards,
Mikko

- - -

Check law & technology research papers and presentation slides from
http://www.valimaki.org/