Warranty

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Apr 8 20:42:09 UTC 2003

Forrest,

I certainly believe it is entirely reasonable for a licensor of software
to warrant that he either (1) wrote the software himself or (2) is
allowed by the author of the software, under a valid current license, to
copy and distribute the software to his licensees.

The point is, licensors shouldn't foist shoddy (e.g., infringing) goods
on an unsuspecting public by ignoring licenses for software they include
in their distributions.  Licensors should make sure that the components
they include in their software are licensed under an open source license
or otherwise authorized for inclusion in an open source work.  Licensors
can certainly verify those simple facts before they distribute software.
They don't really need insurance, they just need common sense business
practices and integrity.

/Larry Rosen