discuss: Request for wxWindows License approval

Julian Smart julian.smart at btopenworld.com
Wed Oct 23 07:17:16 UTC 2002

At 21:09 22/10/2002 -0400, Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:
>I cannot resist calling out the irony and twists-of-fate of an OSI trademark
>certification of a wxWindows open source software product. If OSI has the
>temerity to grant that one, yall should send out a press release.
>
>Seriously, let's be careful with how we view other trademark matters when
>the expectation is that the OSI mark should be equally respected. [I am off
>the soapbox now].

Hi,

Do you think you could clarify? I don't understand what you're
referring to here... perhaps the fact that the name has
'Windows' in it? It's been 10 years and MS hasn't sued yet,
and the Lindows case didn't go well for them. I certainly
didn't intend to abuse the name, and in fact I was using
Windows in a generic (windowing) sense (it's only the first
'w' that refers to the MS product :-))

Thanks,

Julian