discuss: Request for wxWindows License approval

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Wed Oct 23 10:35:20 UTC 2002

There is a strong argument that wxWindows refers only to the windowing
functionality that is a generic use. It's a strong argument, but that is all
it is. You are correct that MS is not getting a favorable response from the
court so far in the Lindows matter, but the USPTO also denied registration
of windows trademarks initially, but relented after tenacious lawyers
persisted.  I have not analyzed your use of wxWindows. Please understand
that I am certainly NOT positing a legal opinion on that.  My comment was
directed at OSI, which has its own trademark interests to consider, and it
may be that OSI will ask you to have your lawyer submit a document showing
the due diligence on this. If all turns out well, the irony is apparent when
you consider the apposition of an open source mark with the claimed mark
"Windows." See http://www.microsoft.com/trademarks/t-mark/nopermit.htm

Rod