Partial OpenSource products/licenses?

Mitchell Baker mitchell at mozilla.org
Wed Oct 2 17:16:07 UTC 2002

(esending, bounced the first time)

The Mozilla Public License (www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html)
was written in large part to allow this sort of combination. In the MPL
world, individual files governed by the MPL must always be open source. A
vendor is free to combine those files with other files, which may be proprietary,
or governed by another open source license. The combined executable may
be shipped under a license of the vendor's choice, provided that the recipient
is told where an how to get the MPL files.

Many companies do exactly this. For example, Netscape takes MPL code, combines
it with proprietary code (such as a Java Virtual Machine, AOL Instant Messanger),
and ships the combined result under a Netscape end user license agreement
for its Netscape 7 browser suite.

The limitation of the scope of the MPL to particular files rather than an
entire application can be found in Section 1.9 (definition of a Modification,
which must remain open source) and Section 3 (oblications regarding Modifications).
Section 3.7 explicitly states that you may combine MPL with other code not
govened by the MPL.

Hope this helps,
Mitchell Baker