OSL and AFL in other countries

Henry Pijffers henry.pijffers at saxnot.com
Sat Nov 9 22:27:37 UTC 2002

Mikko Valimaki wrote:

> EU directive on the legal protection of computer programs (as given on
> 14 May 1991) speaks of works CREATED by an author. Other terms used are
> ADAPTATIONS and REPRODUCTIONS of works.
>
> Term PREPARE does not exist in the EU Directive. So Larry's proposal to
> use 'prepare' instead of 'create' wouldn't make the language any clearer
> from someone coming from the Europe.

Doesn't make it worse either, so I don't see any problem with that.

> All translations of GPL are unofficial and for "educational" purposes only.

And that's what they should be. There should be one original, binding
license, preferrably in English. Translations will be very nice, for
people who's English skills aren't very good, but translations can
never be binding.

regards,
Henry