Proposed License-RPL

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Thu May 23 13:24:12 UTC 2002

> 3.4 Licensor reserves the right at any time to cease
> public release of
> the Licensed Software or, if released, to change fees
> and prices,
> features, specifications, capabilities, functions,
> licensing terms,
> release dates, general availability or other
> characteristics of the
> release. Title, ownership rights, and intellectual
> property rights in
> and to the Licensed Software shall remain in Licensor
> and/or its
> Contributors.

Revocable/Temporary rights are not compatible with the OSD.

(I think there are other clauses which are in conflict with
the OSD, but that one seems the most serious after a quick
read.)

You can find some commentary on revocable rights in Bruce Perens'
comments on the original APSL.  Apple made modifications
to create the current APSL.

If you did not intend to be able to change license terms of
already released software, then the paragraph could be reworded.

-----

It would be helpful if you follow the OSI submission guidelines,
(especially when you describe how this license is similar and
differs from existing approved licenses.)  It seems that there
are many similiarities between the RPL and the APSL or the
Jabber license.  Are you aware of those licenses?

--
Forrest J Cavalier III
  Get help selecting a license, or knowing OSD compatibility