OSD modification regarding what license can require of

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Mar 15 06:35:18 UTC 2002

On Thursday 14 March 2002 09:38 pm, Bruce Perens wrote:
> From: David Johnson <david at usermode.org>
>
> > You don't have the APSL quite right. Clause 2.2d only applies to "Your
> > Deployed Modifications."
> >
> > Clause 2.2d merely requires a prominent notice of the license for binary
> > only deployments. It can only be triggered by the creation of a
> > derivative work, since compilation is considered derivation.
>
> I prefer this to the proposed GPL change. A whole lot. Is there anything
> I should know before I write Eben and Richard to tell them that?

Apropos a recent discussion here, I think it hinges upon whether or not the
user has the right to create derivative works in private. 17 USC 117 *might*
suggest that compiling the source code in order to run it on one's own
computer is the right of the user, and not the author's privilege to restrict.

--
David Johnson